|Line 562:||Line 562:|
Revision as of 22:45, 24 June 2012
| Hear Ye, Hear Ye! This article contains information about an ongoing event.|
Content may change dramatically as the event unfolds.
The Awakening is a story arc that began early in 2012, and is still ongoing as of the time of writing (June 2012). Broadly speaking, this story arc revolved around the political, social, and economic situation in Britannia deteriorating due in large part to lack of leadership from the central government, and foes of Britannia (so far, most notably Exodus) taking advantage of that situation.
The specifics of this story arc differed somewhat Shard to Shard, due to Event Moderator input, thus attempting to satisfy Ultima Online players' long-standing like of Shard-specific content and peculiarities.
This chapter introduced the deteriorating social, political, and economic situation in Britannia. It started with Publish 74 and it is based on the riots that began across Britannia, specifically in the cities:
In each of these cities (with the exception of Moonglow), you will find a journal of one of the citizens describing the situation. You will also find a Guard Captain stationed on the city center who seeks help against the rioters:
- "The citizenry of Britannia are beginning a rebellion, and we must do what we can to maintain order.
- Many of our poorer brothers and sisters are protesting, because they cannot earn a living in these hard times. Gifts of money, food, and clothing would go far to ease their fears.
- Some of our citizens have begun to riot. They have crossed the line and are causing destruction! There are too many of them for the city guard to handle. Please, take this rope and use it to arrest the rioters, and return them here.
- The rioters are starting fires and leaving trails of destruction behind them. We desperately need your help putting out the fires. Also, cleaning up the garbage would certainly be appreciated. (To put out a fire or clean up garbage, double-click it.)
- Groups of raiders from other cities have been infiltrating our city and attacking innocent citizens! These vagabonds must be stopped. Use spell and steel, or set your dragons loose on them if need be.
- Slay the raiders if you must. However, you may attempt to subdue and arrest them. If you do so, they must be returned to their home city. Our jails are overflowing!
- Our coffers are empty. The city cannot offer you any reward other than our thanks. Word of your deeds will spread.
- Be wary, though. Britannians are turning against each other. If you try to lend a hand to everyone, all may end up hating you. Right now, your loyalty means as much as your assistance!"
|City||Location of the Guard Captain and the Box of Ropes|
|Britain||7°54' S, 6°36' E||Just west of the bridge, north of the Cat's Lair.|
|Jhelom||168°50' N, 4°0' E||At the halfway from the Jhelom Library and the Morning Star Inn|
|Minoc||95°58' N, 77°29' E||Inside the Town Hall.|
|Moonglow||50°21' N, 133°1' W||East of the city gates, next to the Moonglow Academy of Arts.|
|New Magincia||56°41' S, 165°39' E||At the docks.|
|Skara Brae||51°35' S, 52°52' W||Inside the Town Hall.|
|Trinsic||100°48' S, 37°7' E||Inside the Jail, just next to the west entrance of the city.|
|Vesper||70°29' N, 118°15' E||At the docks.|
|Yew||62°24' N, 65°52' W||South-east of the entrance of the Yew Prison, next to the Court of Truth.|
As the last sentence suggests, you should only help a single city of your choice since helping more than one city will make your loyalty decrease on other cities. A Guardman's Rope will drop into your backpack upon double-clicking on the chest Box of Rope which can be found near the Guard Captain.
- You take a rope from the chest. Use it to arrest rioters and subdued raiders.
Note that the rope has a lifespan of 60 minutes or 3,600 seconds but you can take another rope from the chest even before the time expires. Rioters can be found inside the city, along with flames and garbage. Flames can be put out and the garbage can be cleaned by simply double-clicking on them:
- "... clear a pile of garbage" "... puts out a fire"'
- "Thank you for your assistance during these difficult times."
From time to time, groups of 25 Raiders will attack a city. You can either subdue and arrest them or kill them. If arrested, they must be returned to their home city.
A city gains Love or Hate for that character based on her/his actions:
‡ : Your loyalty rating will not decay if you log in daily anytime after maintenance.
|Decay Rate ‡||
As you will progress, you will gain a loyalty rating based on your actions:
- If the character only performs beneficial actions for one city, the character gains positive ratings
- If the character only performs harmful actions for one city, the character gains negative ratings
- If the character performs a mixture of actions for a city, or performs beneficial actions for multiple cities, the character will tend to gain positive or negative ratings to a lesser degree or will gain distrustful ratings.
Note that you should:
- arrest 4 Angry Rioters or help 16 Angry Protestors for Commended,
- arrest 20 Angry Rioters or help 80 Angry Protestors for Respected,
- arrest 100 Angry Rioters or help 400 Angry Protestors for Adored and
- arrest 500 Angry Rioters or help 2000 Angry Protestors for Venerated.
- Main Article: City Banner
You can declare citizenship for a city (which will grant you the title Citizen) from the Rewards section of the Titles Menu which can be accessed from your characters context menu. You can receive further titles for that city if you have:
- the required minimum loyalty rating for the title.
- enough funds in your bank-box to donate for the title.
You can only declare citizenship in a single city and you can renounce your citizenship at any time. However, you need to wait a week before declaring citizenship for another city again.
|Character||←Lower Loyalty Rating Title Higher Loyalty Rating→|
This chapter introduced the potential for a threat to Britannia to emerge from Ilshenar. Some of the groundwork had already been lain by Event Moderators on some Shards. It started on March 1st (April 1st on Siege Perilous) with the fiction The Awakening - Act II. Unlike the other quests which you can see the progress and details from the quest gump or the quest log, it follows classic keyword style.
The Trail of Blood
- You can reach the blocked passageway from the Honor moongate in Ilshenar using the tunnel at 84º N, 43º W. From there go to the pass between the desert and the Exodus Dungeon.
- An easier way to reach there was to use a Crystal Portal and speak "Ilshenar Mint" which teleported the players to the bank in Ver Lor Reg. As of Publish 76, Crystal Portal teleports players to the gypsy camp south of the Compassion Moongate
The trail of blood eventually leads to the unconscious Waymaster Harlann and a Shirron of the Juka, Argahrok. They can be found inside the Healer's Shop: In-Mani-Lem in Ver Lor Reg. Argahrok responds to specific keywords:
- Greetings: I am Shirron Argahrok, and I greet you with Respect and Honor, adventurer. I wonder can you help?
- Help: My faithful Waymaster, Harlann, has been severely injured during the catastrophe that befell us.
- Catastrophe: I am unsure its cause, but many of our people died. Our nightmares became reality.
- Injured: With my people scattered, I have nobody to face the dangers necessary for the cure she needs.
- Cure: The cure can only be made with certain ingredients... one is found in Blood Dungeon.
- Blood Dungeon: There is a creature in its depths known as a purifying blood elemental... its blood is key.
- Creature: If you can help by bringing a sample of the purified blood from them, I'll reward you.
- Reward: I can show you the ways of climbing and give you equipment to scale the mountain.
- Mountain: I do not know what lies there after the catastrophe... but there must be something left.
- This will aid greatly. As promised seek the famous mountain climber. Tell him the Shirron sent you.
Carl the Mountain Climber
The famous mountain climber Shirron talks about is Carl the Mountain Climber. He can be found at the Gypsy Camp south of Compassion Moongate. He responds to specific keywords:
- Greetings: Did you hear that? I don't know what happened but the blasted mountain nearly collapsed.
- The Shirron sent me: Let me know when you are ready to learn. I am sure the Loremasters await an answer.
- Loremaster: I am sure whatever you find over there would be of interest to the Juka and Meer.
- Juka: The Jukan Loremasters can be found near Mistas.
- Meer: The Meer Loremasters can be found near Lakeshire.
- I'm ready: Let me show you how this is done... a real natural! There is some equipment by the mountain to use.
You will notice a climbing equipment near the mountain side. After you talk to him, say climb at the rocks right behind him. This transports you over the mountain next to the ruins of Lord Blackthorn's castle.
Note that all of the heirlooms have the Lifespan property set to 86,400 seconds (24 hours) and they will disappear once the countdown timer has elapsed. The Grave Robbers have a lot of hit points and they also reflect half of the damage dealt every time you hit them.
You should take the heirlooms you recovered from the Grave Robbers to the Jukan and Meer Loremasters. Note that gaining Loyalty for the Meer does not diminish your Loyalty for the Juka, and vice versa. You can also read the books written by other Loremasters and elders about the Jukan and Meer traditions while visiting Lakeshire and Mistas.
Slim the Fence
Slim the Fence can be found in the basement of The Salty Dog tavern in east Britain, inside a side room with a locked crate labeled A Box of Loot Recovered from Castle Blackthorn. He responds to specific keywords:
- Greetings': Alloa 'Allia, what 'ave we 'ere? Wha' ken ol' Slim do fer ya?
- Slim: Tha' be ma name, it be. Ya ain' no bleedin' guard, are ya?
- No: Good, Good---Ya buyin' or sellin' then? 'fraid I ain' lookin' fer much, but got plen'y
- Selling: Well, if ya wantin' ta sell, it better be summin' worth ma while, laddie, an' Ah don' see nuthin
- Buying: Now ya talkin', but talkin's easy---an' free. Tell ya wot tho'---listen close, aye?
- Aye: Ya han' over some gol' an Ah'll poin' ya ta what everyone's on abou'. Deal?
- Deal: Well, lad, it'll lead ya ta where ya wan' ta go---but ya got ta pay. *rubs hands together*
Dropping a single gold piece on Slim will unlock the crate:
- "Grammercy, grammercy... Maps in tha box by tha back wall. Ya follow it..."
- Follow: *grins crookedly* Follow it an ya migh' jus' come out richer'n when ya first came 'ere.
Ver Lor Reg
You should find the location on the map in the Gargoyle city of Ver Lor Reg.
- You can reach Ver Lor Reg by using the Honor moongate in Ilshenar and entering the tunnel at 84º N, 43º W.
You will notice that there are Exodus Overseers spawning just inside the city. Go to the blacksmith shop Agra-Char-In-Lem located in the northwest corner of the city and climb the stairs in the northwest corner inside, up to the roof. You will see a rope across to a large, black hole in the mountain a few tiles to the southwest. Use the rope to enter the Exodus Dungeon.
The first thing you will see inside is a bizarre machine with a Cracked Viewing Crystal surrounded by Shattered Glass, and covered in Spattered Coolant. Next to it is a set of tinker's tools marked Callie's Toolkit next to a pile of bones with a book titled A Journal:
- Its been what seems like weeks since I have seen daylight. I can no longer stand the isolation of this dark place, but my work here is paramount. If what the fence says is true, there are untold riches to be uncovered from the machines with this mechanical citadel. My time has not been without peril, as I dodge attack daily from all manner of mechanical beast. I think though, I may have made a breakthrough! These bizarre tripods seem to be in a state of disrepair. I was able to fashion some tools from the corpse of one of the metallic behemoths. Luck would have it these instruments allowed me to interact with these strange tripods! Upon further examination it seems the intricacy of the circuitry varies but the outcome is always the same - when the correct circuit is connected the machine whirs to life and a small card is ejected. For days I pondered the use of such an item until I discovered a likely recipient for such a thing. I began feeding cards into the receiver, but to no avail, until without warning, I fed a card into the machine as I'd done previously and it came to life! What I am to do with the result of such a task is yet unclear, but it would seem...*the rest of the journal has rotted away*
You should kill Exodus Minions for a chance to receive a Mechanical Component which can be used to make an Exotic Toolkit by Tinkers who have 80.0 or more skill points in Tinkering. Note that the Mechanical Component has a lifespan of three days while the Exotic Toolkit has a lifespan of a week.
An Exotic Toolkit can be used on one of the large fixtures in between the rooms of the dungeon called a Nexus. This opens up a jewel-based puzzle mini-game which is nearly identical to those found in the Puzzle Room in the Underworld. Once the puzzle is solved, a random hued Punch Card will drop on your backpack along with the message:
- You repair the mysterious Nexus! As it whirs to life, it spits out a punch card.
- Beep! Bop! Boop!
You need to feed a total of 50 Punch Cards into the Keypunch Reader that is located near the journal to receive a Nexus Deed:
- As you feed the punch card into the machine it turns on!
Alec the Provisioner
- "Greetings Traveler! It is fine provisions you seek? Then look no further!
- For the modest fee of 1000 gold I will provide you with usable sifting tray!
- This sifting tray will no doubt allow you to uncover untold riches in the shifting sands of this desert!
- Before you get too excited you should know these sands can be treacherous and sifting should be done with care!
- Of most valuable interest are the antiquity fragments settled here from the recent catastrophe that befell the Juka and Meer. You'd be wise to search only in this area, as it is where most of the debris is concentrated. Happy Hunting!
Dropping 1,000 gold pieces on Alec will drop A Sifting Tray on your backpack with 41 - 46 uses and you can also get more than one Sifting Tray at a time. Use it on the desert around the entrance to discover Antiquity Fragments:
- *shake shake shake*
- "You sift for a while and discover an antiquity fragment!"
Note that you cant sift while mounted, hidden, flying, in animal form or fighting. Also, while sifting there is a chance to disturb an underground lair of a sleeping creature: A Desert Scorpion, Rotworm or Bloodworm. They can also spawn in Paragon form. According to Crowen, there is 1 in 3 chance to disturb a random creature while about 1 in 20 to 40 chance to recover an Antiquity Fragment.
Antiquity Fragments can be combined just like the ore pieces. You need to combine 10 Antiquity Fragments to get a random heirloom, the same heirlooms recovered from Grave Robbers in Act II but without the lifespan property:
‡ : not reported so far.
A mysterious plague began to appear in Ter Mur among the Gargoyles there, following the retreat of the Ver Lor Reg Gargoyles into Ter Mur to escape the oncoming Exodus onslaught. Official fiction posted on 11 June 2012 indicated that the plague was carried to Ter Mur by the Ver Lor Reg Gargoyles; the latter were immune to it, the former unfortunately was not. The plague carriers were isolated by Queen Zhah in the Fishing Village northwest of the Royal City.
Ver Lor Reg was then was re-rescued by the players (led by Dupre) during the Call to Arms event. Exodus, after over ten years of being a mysterious villain at the fringes of the game, finally was killed.
- BNN: The Awakening
- BNN: The Awakening - Act I, Part 2
- BNN: The Awakening - Act II
- BNN: The Awakening - Act III
- BNN: The Awakening - Act IV
- BNN: The Awakening - Act IV Part 2
- Publish 74