UOGuide was founded to fulfill the need for a website containing readily available and up to date information about Ultima Online. Through community contributions, it is hoped this site will grow into well kept repository of game play knowledge.
This site was conceptualized and built by JCtheBuilder in mid-June 2006. It received many notes of support during its initial days. But a few weeks after launch there was a server failure which wiped out the database and spelled disaster for the site. Approximately 2 weeks later the site was back online. At this time the UO wiki site UOStuff announced its intentions to expand into the same area as UOGuide. Rather then compete with the established wiki, it was decided to halt all efforts on building UOGuide. By early September 2006 it was clear UOStuff was not living up to the claims that were made during the feud. Thus it was decided to relaunch UOGuide near the end of September.
In the fall and early winter of 2006 the site has been growing rapidly. Major sections on Veteran Rewards, Cooperative Collections, Halloween 2006, Holiday 2006, and Kingdom Reborn have been added. By the end of the year, UOGuide was closing in on 400 content pages.
The current goal of UOGuide is to have most general UO information on the site by the launch of the next UO expansion Kingdom Reborn. In addition, keeping pace with current changes and events is also a high priority.
UOGuide has staff dedicated to certain aspects of the site. If you see an open position, you can apply by registering a username and posting that you want it on this page's Talk page.
Administrators handle all aspects of the website.
Sysops have full content and editorial access on the website.
Notable events in the history of UOGuide.
- May, 2006 -- The concept of UOGuide is thought up and worked out.
- June 8, 2006 -- UOGuide domain is registered and initial work begins.
- July 1, 2006 -- The database becomes corrupted due to server host incompetence. The backups are not salvageable.
- July 16-18, 2006 -- The site is on a new host at the same time UOStuff announces their upgrade and refocus, site development is put on hold.
- September 27, 2006 -- UOGuide receives new templates, information pages, and other maintenance for the impending re-launch
- Ocotber 1, 2006 -- The site is officially relaunched
- Ocotber 31, 2006 -- The site now has 50 pages of information
- November 14, 2006 -- The site now has 200 pages of information
- December 3, 2006 -- Site updated to MediaWiki version 1.82
- December 27, 2006 -- The site now has over 300 pages of information.
- December 31, 2006 -- The site now has over 400 pages of information.
- January 6, 2007 -- The site now has over 500 pages of information.