Rules of Conduct
The Rule of Conduct are a series of guidelines you agree to when you sign up for an UO account. Along with the Terms of Service and Harassment policy, it lays down the game rules. Violating it may cause your account to be Suspended or Banned. It is rarely modified, but should be reviewed on a monthly or quarterly to keep update to date on rules and changes. The most up to date copy can be found here.
Ultima Online Service Rules of Conduct
While you are a member of the Ultima Online Service, you must abide by the following rules.
IF YOU BREAK ANY OF THESE RULES, YOUR ULTIMA ONLINE ACCOUNT, AND YOUR RIGHT TO USE THE ULTIMA ONLINE SERVICE, MAY BE TERMINATED IMMEDIATELY BY ELECTRONIC ARTS. IF THIS HAPPENS, YOU WILL NOT BE ENTITLED TO ANY REFUND OF ANY AMOUNTS PAID BY YOU TO USE THE ULTIMA ONLINE SERVICE AND YOU WILL FORFEIT ALL OF YOUR UNUSED ACCESS TIME.
THE RULES ARE:
- You may not victimize, harass, threaten, or cause another player unwanted distress or discomfort, as determined by Support Staff.
- You may not use any offensive or sexually explicit language, graphic descriptions or accounts of sexual acts (including but not limited to sexual language of a violent or threatening nature directed at another individual or group of individuals).
- You may not use any unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, hateful, racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable language toward any other player.
- Characters, items, pets and other user-created in-game content must abide by the EA Terms of Service, Rules of Conduct and the UO Naming Policy located here.
- You will not actively encourage other players to violate the Terms of Service or Rules of Conduct.
- You may not leave an active character or pet in game while unattended. If your character is performing a skill, text or action, you must be able to respond to a Game Master when one attempts to speak to you.
- You may not impersonate any Ultima Online Customer Support representative or other employee of Electronic Arts, past or present.
- With the exception of the sale of in-game items for in-game items or services, you may not market, promote or advertise anything, or make any other form of solicitation (including pyramid schemes and chain letters) through the Ultima Online Service or Ultima Online Web Site.
- You may not violate any local, state, national or international law or regulation.
- You may not modify any part of the Ultima Online Service, Ultima Online code or Ultima Online Web Site that Electronic Arts does not specifically authorize you to modify.
- You may not arrange for the exchange or transfer of any pirated software or other contraband while you are using the Ultima Online Service or Ultima Online Web Site, or use the Ultima Online Service or Web Site for any other illegal purpose. You will not post the website address (URL) to any sites which contain sexual material, content which could harm or disrupt another user’s personal network and computer, or content which violates the Electronic Arts Terms of Service.
- You may not organize any guilds or groups that are based on, or espouse, any racist, sexist, anti-religious, anti-ethnic, anti-gay, or other hate-mongering philosophy.
- You may not use the Ultima Online Service or Ultima Online Web Site for any activities other than those permitted within the game world.
- You may not post or communicate any player's real-world personal information, including your own, within the Ultima Online Service or through the Ultima Online Web Site. You will not share your account password or account details with anyone, and you will not hold Electronic Arts responsible for any damages that you may incur from doing so.
- You may not give false information to or intentionally hide any information from Electronic Arts, such as e-mail address or billing information, which are required at the time you register with the Ultima Online Service. It is your responsibility to keep this information up-to-date using the Account Management website located at http://www.ultima-registration.com.
- You will follow the instructions of authorized personnel while in Ultima Online. Failure to follow instructions from official Support Staff may result in disciplinary action being taken against the account.
- You will not violate the intellectual property rights of any third party. For example, you will not upload or transmit through the Ultima Online Service or Ultima Online Web Site, any copyrighted content that you do not own all rights to, unless you have the express written permission of the author or copyright holder.
- You will not attempt to interfere with, hack into, or decipher any transmissions to or from the servers running the Ultima Online Service.
- You will not exploit any bug in the Ultima Online product or the Ultima Online Service. You will not intentionally use or share any bug found within Ultima Online, real or fictitious, regardless of whether or not it grants an unfair advantage. You will not directly or indirectly communicate the existence of any such bug to any other user of the Ultima Online Service. You will report any such exploit using the bug reporting methods as described by the Ultima Online Web Site at http://www.uo.com/mailBug.html.
- You will not intentionally accept an item that has been “bugged” or otherwise manipulated outside of the designed game mechanics from anyone inside or outside the game world. The Ultima Online team has the right to confiscate any such illegal items, without reparation, even if a player had no prior knowledge of the item’s origin.
- You will not intentionally submit misinformation, or abuse the help petition system.
- You will not attempt to play Ultima Online on any service that is not controlled or authorized by Electronic Arts.
- You will not create, use, play on or provide any server emulator or other service where Ultima Online may be played. You will not post, use or distribute any utilities, applications, emulators or other software tools related to Ultima Online that do not have the express written permission of Electronic Arts to be used with the Service. Information about approved software can be found here.
- You will not do anything else that interferes with the ability of other Ultima Online users to enjoy playing the game in accordance with its rules, or that increases the expense or difficulty of Electronic Arts in maintaining the Ultima Online Service for the enjoyment of all its users.
YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU AGREE TO THESE RULES AND WILL ABIDE BY THEM.
YOU FURTHER AGREE THAT THESE RULES WILL APPLY TO ANYONE THAT YOU HAVE ALLOWED TO USE, OR HAS ACCESS TO USE YOUR ULTIMA ONLINE ACCOUNT OR USER ID. YOU AGREE THAT YOU ARE PERSONALLY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY CONSEQUENCES, WHICH COULD INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO WARNINGS, SUSPENSIONS OR TERMINATIONS OF YOUR ACCOUNT BASED ON THE VIOLATION OR ACCOUNT HISTORY RESULTING FROM ANY SUCH PERSON BREAKING THESE RULES.
YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT IF YOUR ACCOUNT AND RIGHT TO USE THE ULTIMA ONLINE SERVICE IS TERMINATED BY ELECTRONIC ARTS FOR ANY REASON, YOU WILL NOT BE ENTITLED TO A REFUND OF ANY FEES PAID BY YOU FOR USE OF THE ULTIMA ONLINE SERVICE AND YOU WILL FORFEIT ANY UNUSED ACCESS TIME THAT YOU HAVE REMAINING AT THE TIME OF TERMINATION.
IN ORDER TO HELP MAKE ULTIMA ONLINE A GOOD EXPERIENCE FOR EVERYONE, ELECTRONIC ARTS MAY OCCASIONALLY FIND IT NECESSARY TO MAKE CHANGES TO, OR RESET CERTAIN PARAMETERS OF, AN ON-GOING WORLD IN ORDER TO BRING IT BACK INTO BALANCE. THESE CHANGES OR RESETS MAY AFFECT CHARACTERS UNDER YOUR CONTROL AND MAY CAUSE YOU SETBACKS WITHIN THE GAME WORLD.
THESE RULES MAY BE CHANGED, AND NEW RULES MAY BE ADDED, AT ANY TIME. YOU AGREE TO CHECK THE ULTIMA ONLINE WEB SITE FROM TIME TO TIME TO REVIEW ANY RULE CHANGES THAT ELECTRONIC ARTS MAY HAVE MADE.
YOU AGREE TO READ CAREFULLY THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS SET FORTH IN THE ULTIMA ONLINE SERVICE AGREEMENT THAT IS POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AT http://www.uo.com/agreement.html.