In the Shadow of Virtue - Lost and Found Part 3
In the Shadow of Virtue - Lost and Found Part 3 is a quest within the In the Shadow of Virtue event cycle. Unlike the other quests which you can see the progress and details from the quest gump or the quest log, it follows classic keyword style.
The quest begins by visiting Avery, the falsely prosecuted Captain. He is recently absolved of the crime and pardoned by Queen Dawn. He can be found inside the Cat's Lair Inn in Britain. He responds to specific keywords:
- Prison: I spent 8 months in prison for a crime I didn't commit. Met some interesting folk there.
- Crime: Casca murdered the council. I went to prison for it, Casca got caught, Queen Dawn pardoned me.
- Casca: Casca was our king for a brief period. He really made a mess of things.
- Sherry: Sherry visited me several times in prison, I have nothing but good things to say about her.
- Sorry: Dont' be sorry, it's not your fault.I saw another side of life. I met some folk. I'll get over it.
- Folk': I met Ricardo there. He was a good friend to me. Stark raving mad, but a good stroy teller.
- Ricardo: He was once a master thief. Now he just a crazy old mad who tell stories about lost treasure.
- Stories: I don't really want to talk about my time serving Lord Francisco, maybe some other time.
- Treasure: Oh, Ricardo was a thief for many years and has all kinds of treasure hidden about I'm sure.
- Hidden: I recall a story where he had some treasure hidden in some warehouse on the Britain wharf.
- Warehouse: Ho, ho! Thinking of doing some hunting? Well good luck to you, he's totally mad you know!
As Avery suggested, you will find Ricardo's Diary and a Weathered Old Chest inside the warehouse in Britain at 10°11' S 16°56' E. Reading Ricardo's Diary:
- This be the beginning of me great research.
- I, Ricardo, master thief, am going to discover the legend of Lord British's Vault. I will be hiding me research where only I, Ricardo, can find it by using me ancient magic lamp.
- Me lamp 'tis better than any map, for a map can be decoded. No one alive but me, Ricardo, knows the secret of how this lamp works.
- I have hidden me research near me favorite locations in Sosaria, but even me closest friends could not find it without the secret of me lamp.
- Thus, if'n I would tell a body that part of me research be near the Terathan Keep, it would not help them a wit less they have me lamp to discover exactly where 'tis.
- I never keep me books and me lamp in the same place for security purposes.
- I have also discovered a way to enchant me research books so that they can only be read using me lamp.
- Finally, as an added security, me books can only be lifted by me.
- Ya larn a few things over the years about security when ye are a master thief
Trying to open the Weathered Old Chest will put the Ricardo's Ancient Lamp to your backpack. Return to Avery and ask about tha lamp:
- Lamp or Research: He never mentioned it specifically. You might ask Ricardo about it, he's in Yew prison.
If you visit Ricardo in Yew Prison, you'll notice that he gives some clues about the possible locations of his research and sometimes responds to the keyword Hint. Each day, Ricardo will give a clue about the location of that day's volume. You'll also see him talking with himself:
- *Shakes head sadly*
- *Sighs restlessly*
- I love fishin. I used to hang around the dock of Britain, angler by day, angle worker by night.
- I love to fish
- Lieutenant Dan in Caste Britannia Trammel... take to him any books.
- Oh, my favorite place. I love to fish.
- Oh, my sacred lamp. It is the light of my spirit!
- Oh, you must not forget to visit Lt Dan and Lt Crag!
- Protecting the secret. Oh, so much responsibility! Must dig, must mine!
- The warehouse is my favorite place
Days - Volumes
Each day, you'll find another volume of Ricardo's research. Ricardo's Ancient Lamp's hue will change to green when you're near the location and the book will become visible:
Ricardo's book seems important. I bet this information is worth something to someone.
Day 1 - Volume 1
Go to the Terathan Keep as suggested in Ricardo's Diary and search for one of the volumes of Ricardo's books about his research around. The book is just south of the Terathan Keep, on the ground of Haunted Ruins, at 10°27' S 38°23' W in Lost Lands.
Me research, Volume 1 by Ricardo
- This be me research regardin the combination to open Lord British's fabled Vault.
- Me research has been sailing against the wind so far, but I believe the vault be requiring words o' power.
- I record the first word here, it be An.
Day 2 - Volume 2
Ricardo's hint about the second location is:
- A common thief sleeps with one eye open. Ricardo sleeps with one eye to the Moonglow telescope.
Me research, Volume 2 by Ricardo
- This be the second secret hiding place o' me research into the words o' power what will open Lord British's Vault.
- I be thinking this vault be somewhere in his royal castle. I can only imagine the treasures that await me thar, it makes me giddy to think on it and I must put thous thoughts aside.
- Me precious second word O' power be sanct.
Day 3 - Volume 3
Ricardo's hint about the third location is:
- Me bar in Vesper requires a secret knock and serves terrible ale. Don't knock till you try it!
The third volume is on a small island inside the city of Vesper, on the ground , at 59°3' N 109°53' E.
Me research, Volume 3 by Ricardo
- I have discovered that o' the great treasures of Lord British's Vault be the crystal that Minax used to be in both Feluca and Trammel at the same time.
- This be of great interest to me. I can think o' many an improper use fer it. It is not known if I can use it to be in two places in Trammel at the same time. I look forward to finding out.
- I also now know that the third word o' power for the key to the vault is grav.
Day 4 - Volume 4
Ricardo's hint about the fourth location is:
- I smell a break in the wind! I miss trying to break into the Wind... I miss the maze. I need a break.
The fourth volume is near the entrance to the Wind, on the ground , at 61°31' N 3°9' E.
Me research, Volume 4 by Ricardo
- I marvel at these magic locations that are somehow connected to this lamp, they be the perfect hiding place. I, Ricardo, did not make them, I have just discovered them.
- They be the perfect hiding places because no one can find them but me wonderful lamp.
- The fourth word o' power be vas.
Day 5 - Volume 5
Ricardo's hint about the fifth location is:
- I feel dirty here... such a waste. The bath house in Buc's Den, now, thar be a place to be dirty!
The fifth volume is north of the Buccaneer's Den, on the ground , at 29°21' S 99°0' E.
Me research, Volume 5 by Ricardo
- I believe that the location o' the vault is somewhere in the royal throne room. It be kind of obvious, putting it there, but I imagine it be highest security place in the palace.
- I have discovered the fifth word o' power be Ylem.
Day 6 - Volume 6
Ricardo's hint about the sixth location is:
- I married the fifth wife near Yew. T'was the only place me other wives would ne'er look for me
The sixth volume is in Valentines' Park, just north of Shrine of Justice, on the ground , at 94°7' N 0°25' W.
Me research, Volume 6 by Ricardo
- I did some poking around the palace last night with these words o' power. It seems I am still missing something. I believe that one or more objects are required. I believe I must be holding something when I speak the words o' power. I do not yet know what but I will find out.
- The sixth word o' power 'tis a word I ne'er seen before, the word be nes.
Day 7 - Volume 7
Ricardo's hint about the seventh location is:
- Went to Tokuno on me honeymoon and saw Shrine of Valor. Since then I just go thar to hide
The seventh volume is in some broken ruins, just south-east of Shrine of Valor in Tokuno, on the ground , at 95°53' N, 17°30' W.
Me research, Volume 7 by Ricardo
- I have discovered more about the Crystal o' Duplicity. I 'ad to pay good stolen money for this information so I be recording it here.
- It seems that Minax herself stole the crystal from Magincia, back before it was destroyed. I didnt know she had it in her.
- It seems it was hid somewhere in Magincia by someone. I must learn more of this story.
- The seventh and final word o' power is uus.
Day 8 - Volume 8
Ricardo's hint about the eighth location is:
- I thought about fixing up this big old keep in Ilshenar, but I figured my x-wife would just take it
Me research, Volume 8 by Ricardo
- I, Ricardo, discoverer of secrets, finder of lost things, master thief extraordinaire, have discovered a most rare and disturbing tale about the crystal.
- It seems that it won't be letting me be in two places at once in Trammel, which is disappointing.
- However, it is a bridge between any two shards.
- Here be where it gets interesting... it can duplicate anything from any shard to another shard with the right words o' power.
- It seems that the great Nystul, royal mage to Lord British, used it to copy the land in the shard that we now call Felucca onto the shard that we now call Trammel.
- I find meself considerin' what might have been in that shard before Trammel.
- I could not discover this secret, and it is but trivia to one who only seeks to steal it, but I can't help but wonder if Nystul knew what he destroyed to build his haven.
Day 9 - Volume 9
Ricardo's hint about the ninth location is:
- I have my own island off the coast of Buc's Den in Felucca. No house there, just an island.
Me research, Volume 9 by Ricardo
- Me new research suggests that Lord British may have taken the item needed to open the vault with him to protect it.
- However, at the split of Trammel and Felucca, it seems there were many objects that were accidentally duplicated. This increases me odds a great deal.
- I expect that any such artifacts will be here in Felucca. I must continue to be discrete in me inquiries lest the other thieves learn of me plan.
- The more I think on it, the more I am awed by the crystal. I am starting to question me own pursuit of it. 'Tis unprofessional to entertain such a conscience, I know, but such power is staggering.
Day 10 - Volume 10
Ricardo's hint about the tenth and the final location is:
- The provisioner in Ocllo has such good security, I keep my money with him instead of at the bank.
Me research, Volume 10 by Ricardo
- I have determined that the object I need is one of the three: Lord British's crown, his scepter, or his cape.
- However, I have decided not to pursue me research further. Some things be best left lost.
- I have recently learned of a valuable item in the possession of the ophidians.
- This be an item that will allow me to retire to the kind of life I would like to be accustomed to. I might even be able to buy into the nobility!
- For now, and perhaps forever, me research will remain safely hidden under these magical nodes.
Returning this information to Lt. Dan in Castle Britannia or Serpent's Hold for Siege Perilous will make your karma increase while returning to Lt Crag ( who is in service of Minax ) in Felucca Cove will make your karma decrease. Both officers will say the same thing: You did the right thing to bring this to my attention. Please take a bag from my chest as a reward.
The bag contains one of the following:
- A random magic item
- Jade Snake Head
- Ranger's Cloak of Augmentation
- Shadow Cloak of Rejuvenation
- Relic Fragment
- The names of the Jade Snake Head and Shadow Cloak of Rejuvenation were not displayed correctly prior to the Client Update 184.108.40.206. Because of that, they were known as Cloak of Error and Talisman of Error on some shards.
- It is reported that Mesanna fixed some early issues on the quest by travelling from shard to shard.