- 1 Playable Races
- 1.1 Humans
- 1.2 Elves
- 1.3 Gargoyles
- 2 Race Change
- 3 Non-Playable Races
- 4 Race Slayer Groups
- 5 Extinct Races
There are several races in Ultima Online. There are several differences among the playable races that make race an important game choice. There are also race specific weapons that deal extra damage against the appropriate opponent. It should be noted that there were several additional races in the single player Ultima series of games that have not been seen in Ultima Online.
There are three playable races in Ultima Online each having unique racial abilities:
- Main Article: Humans
- Years of hard work allow more weight to be carried on strong backs.
Humans have an increased carrying capacity above what is determined by their strength.
- Carry an additional 60 Stones of weight
- Adept at recovering from adversity, humans regain health more quickly than in times past.
- Enterprising techniques have led to breakthroughs in resource recovery.
Humans have a better chance at finding more resources while gathering hides, ore and lumber.
Jack of all Trades
- Diverse inclinations attune humans to a base understanding of nearly all learned behaviors.
Humans have a basic ability in all skills, even untrained ones.
Note - As of Publish 64, it no longer contributes towards mana discounts on Special Moves. If players do not have 200 or more modified points in various combat skills (Swordsmanship, Mace Fighting, Fencing, Archery, Throwing, Parry, Lumberjacking, Stealth, Poisoning, Bushido, and Ninjitsu), their special moves will use the full mana cost.
- Main Article: Elves
- Exceptional vision, even at night.
Infused with Magic
- Resilient skin has an increased capacity to resist damage from energy attacks.
Elves have an increased energy resistance cap. Elven players must still increase their actual resistances through normal means (i.e. through equipment and magical effects).
- +5 to Energy Resistance cap (75 total)
Difficult to Track
- Difficult to track.
- Increased perception of both hidden creatures and resources.
Knowledge of Nature
- and resources.
Elves receive an increase to their chance of acquiring special resources such as colored ore when mining or special boards when lumberjacking.
- Wise in nature; harmonious affinity for casting spells.
- Main Article: Gargoyles
Presented as community-minded and strongly principled, Gargoyles have special traits and abilities:
- A Gargoyle's powerful wings carry them over land as fast as a galloping horse and grant them access to special Gargoyle-only areas.
Flying makes it possible for Gargoyles to move at a speed equal to being mounted, or the equivalent being double the usual walking pace of Humans and Elves.
- In situations of great danger, a Gargoyle's natural ferocity will take over, granting speed and power at the cost of defenses.
- A strong cultural emphasis on art and craftsmanship grants the Gargoyles an increased chance to imbue and unravel magical items.
Gargoyles have an increased chance to imbue and unravel magical items. This bonus has the greatest impact at low-intensity imbues and diminishes exponentially as the difficulty of the imbue increases.
- All Gargoyles are trained from childhood in the skill of Throwing, giving them a basic competence with missile weapons.
- Gargoyles have an intuitive understanding of Mysticism, allowing them to cast basic Mysticism spells without further training.
It is possible to change the race of a character
- Human -> Elf : Quest: Elven Heritage
- Elf -> Human: Quest: Human Heritage
- Human <-> Gargoyle <-> Elf: Race Change Token
- Mechanical / Construct
- Orc race