“In my professional opinion, this dog has fleas.”
“That’s not a dog, it’s a dragon.”
“Oh. Well then, in my professional opinion, this dragon has fleas.”
As ferocious as your tamed pet may be, at some point you may find yourself in a situation where a beloved pet is hurt, poisoned or both. With an investment in the Veterinary skill, you can heal most any ailment your pet may face.
Although creatures can be sustained to some extent by magical spells, a well trained vet can heal larger amounts of damage at greater speed. Like Stable Masters, a player character vet is capable of resurrecting dead pets.
Veterinary also counts towards your total stable slot limit.
Dexterity no longer effects the speed of your Veterinary skill. Vetting bandages take 2 seconds regardless of healer's stats.
See Pet Training for more information on training your pets
See the Pets section for more detailed information on your pets and how to control them
See Pet Guide for a comparison of high level hunting pets
In order to heal creatures you must use a pile of Bandages on them. Your Healing and Anatomy skills have no influence here, Veterinary and Animal Lore are used instead. As these two skills rise the amount of damage healed increases as does your chance to cure/resurrect if need be.
- 60 Veterinary and 60 Animal Lore to have a chance to cure a creature's Poison. You must be standing within two tiles of it.
- 80 Veterinary and 80 Animal Lore to have a chance to Resurrect a bonded pet. You must be standing directly beside it.
Here is a useful tool which will determine chance to and amount healed: Pacific Ranger's Council Veterinary Calculator
- 0 - 30: Train at a NPC Stablemaster.
- 30 - 60: Heal creatures.
If you don't have Animal Lore the only way to train to 100 or higher is by healing. Otherwise you can continue below.
- 60 - 80: Cure a poisoned creature (need 60 Animal Lore).
- 80 - 120: Resurrect your dead pet but don't press OK (need 80 Animal Lore). <<---(Don't know what to put here but if you res your own pet, it auto accepts the res). I just get two weak creatures, (like deers or cows)and have them attack each other, then heal them. They do little damage to each other but you still get Vet gains. You must be in a guild if you do this in tram. You can do it in your own house.