Player vs. Player
In Ultima Online, player vs. player (commonly abbreviated PvP) denotes player versus player combat of any kind. Most PvP is centered around the shards of Mugen and Siege Perilous, or the Felucca facet on regular servers.
Common terms in PvP are:
- Perma Red - An obsolete term, it refers to characters who were rendered permanently red because of the rule set in effect at the time ("bouncing" back and forth between red and blue status too many times). Perma Reds are no longer part of the game.
- Red - These are Murderers, Player Killers or PKs
- Perma Gray - Another obsolete term, it refers to a state thieves would be subject to after a successful steal. 'Perma gray' would only be lieften upon death. While a thief is perma gray, he or she would remain and appear gray only to the person they stole from. And while they would appear blue to everyone else except their victims, they would still be freely attackable by anyone without consequence. A common practice at the time this rule was in effect was to commit suicide intentionally to remove perma gray status. Others include tricking others into thinking you were perma gray in order to have them flag as aggressors, often resulting in a guard whack. Perma grays are no longer part of the game.
- Gray - Criminals, Thieves, players who have stolen from an NPC or player, or players who have helped a Red.
- Blue - Innocent players and NPCs.
- Trammie - A pejorative used to describe characters who do not venture to Felucca and thus do not engage in PvP.
Types of PvP
There are also subtypes of PvP as well inside UO.
- World PvP - This is generally comprised of random PvP that takes place in Felucca for fun or sport.
- Champ PvP - This is when guilds or groups compete for control of a Champion Spawn. This particular style of PvP frequently takes the form of a large guild or group raiding a spawn being progressed by a smaller guild or group, with the larger group usually scouting the progression of the spawn to time the raid to coincide with the appearance of the champion in order to obtain the Power Scrolls.
- House PvP - This is when one or more players inside a house either commence a battle on opposing players outside, or are chased into a house from outside and continue the fight while trapped inside. The players inside and out attempt to build up powerful combinations or pull off coordinated attacks with others to "snipe" their opponents, as lines of sight through the house are only open for a few seconds at most. This type of PvP can be frequently be witnessed around the Yew gate in Felucca.
- Guild Wars - When players in two or more guilds wish to declare war on each other, frequently for roleplaying purposes, they can do so through the guild system. The guild war can be set up to end after a certain time period, a certain number of kills, or can be set to last indefinitely.
- Faction Wars - The Factions system is comprised of four eternally warring NPC factions that players may join to partake in combat, control Felucca cities and towns, and control resources and equipment.